Travel north to south from Harlesden to West Croydon on a 630.

Trolleybus route 630 started operation in September 1937 as part of a group of routes which ran
through Wandsworth. Unlike any other conversion, some of the routes were not fully converted, with
the "city" end of the service remaining tram operated for a later stage. Because of the Second World
War, these tram routes (12, 26 and 28) remained until withdrawn along with trolleybus 612 in 1950.

Route 630 had been LCC route 30 which, at this time, ran from the oddly named Nr Willesden
Junction to West Croydon. Towards the end of its operating life, the terminus was more accurately
renamed as Harlesden College Park. The route was operated solely by Hammersmith Depot (coded
HB from 1950). It ran together with the 626 and 628 between College Park and Wandsworth and was
joined by the rush-hour 655 from Hammersmith, the latter three routes continuing to Clapham
Junction. From Wandsworth to Mitcham Fair Green, it ran in tandem with the 612 and met up with
the 654 briefly at West Croydon.

In some of the views below, vehicles on the other services are used to help illustrate the routes. All
the trolleybuses shown on this webpage can be seen in a larger view by visiting the two general
trolleybus galleries. Most of the photographs were taken shortly before abandonment when the
D2 class, which had served the route from the beginning had been withdrawn and replaced by
K1 and K2 classes and some F1s which feature in this page. The P1s which were the newest class
used, were still in service until the closure.

[Return to Transport of Delight] [Map page] [London Transport galleries]

The College Park terminus was about 10 minutes walk from Willesden Junction railway station,
a busy suburban stop on the main line out of Euston. The route then headed south, soon crossing
over the GWR main line out of Paddington and running along the West London Line, an important
cross-river railway link on the east and Wormwood Scrubs a wide expanse of open land on the
west which was also the site of one of London's more important prisons. Passing North Pole Road
and White City with the BBC Television Centre, buses reached the triangular one-way system
at Shepherds Bush Green, where the 630 met the 607 and 657 trolleybus routes.


F1 746 leaves the College
Park turning circle and
emerges into Harrow Road.

K1 1125 enters the the College
Park turning circle turning from
Scrubs Lane into Waldo Road.



F1 657 passes Mitre Bridge
signal box while travelling
south along Scrubs Lane.


K1 1117 on the south side of Shepherds
Bush Green on the 657, where it shared
the one-way system with the 630, as well
as the 607, 626 and 628.


Heading south, a short run brought the route to another major traffic hub at Hammersmith Broadway.
The 630 did not share wires with any of the routes from the north-west which terminated here just off
the Broadway, but was joined at rush-hours by the 655. The route was operated from the depot here,
on the edge of the Broadway. A one-way system, opened in 1958, created a new road - Butterwick -
which brought the vehicles even closer to the depot. The route left Hammersmith and followed Fulham
Palace Road, a busy suburban road which boasted a turning loop at Edgarley Terrace in its length.
After passing Bishops Park, the route crossed the Thames over Putney Bridge and followed Putney
Bridge Road, separated from the river by Wandsworth Park to enter central Wandsworth.

P1 1709 leaving Hammersmith
trolleybus depot on a short
working to Mitcham Fair Green.



K2 1178 at Hammersmith in the
Butterwick bus station, opened in
1958, next to HB depot. The
vehicle is on a 628 working.

K1 1083 leaves Hammersmith on a
short working to Edgarley Terrace
turning circle in Fulham Palace Road.


F1 660 passes Edgarley Terrace
turning circle in Fulham Palace Road.



At Wandsworth High Street, the 630 turned right into Garratt Lane, leaving the 626, 628 and 655 routes.
Garratt Lane is one of the longer roads in South London. It is approximately three miles long, linking
Wandsworth with Tooting Broadway. Soon after leaving the High Street, it passed under what appeared
to be a railway bridge but was in fact the Southern Outfall Sewer, being carried across the Wandle
Valley. The road is an older shopping road, passing through Earlsfield and Summerstown on its way to
Tooting. At Summerstown, there was a short spur along Wimbledon Road to serve Wimbledon Stadium,
used when events were on and as a short working loop. Beyond Amen Corner at Tooting, the route ran
through a residential area to Mitcham Fair Green and then trolleybuses often had a very fast run across
the length of Mitcham Common, returning to a more urban environment for the last section of its
journey to West Croydon.


K2 1204 turns right from Wandsworth
High Street into Garratt Lane. Until
1950, trolleybus route 612, the first to
be abandoned, joined here from
York Road, on the right.




P1 1075 heads north along Garratt Lane
on the approach to Wandsworth centre
under the Southern Outfall Sewer bridge.

D2 420 heads south at the same spot.
LTE service vehicle R41 - a Lacre
garage sweeper stands outside
Lammas' breaker's yard.


K1 1129 passes the bottom of the
street where the webmaster
lived for over 20 years.

P1 1721 - the last pre-war LPTB "standard"
trolleybus in Garratt Lane at Summerstown.



At Summerstown, a short spur served
Wimbledon Stadium. K2 1164 lays
over after a short working to this point.


P1 1721 passes Croydon Barracks
as it nears the end of its journey -
just short of fifteen miles.

F1 746 turns at West Croydon station.




[Return to Transport of Delight] [Map page] [London Transport galleries]